Today is the anniversary of the Battle of Bosworth on 22nd August 1485. This battle was, of course, the start of the Tudor dynasty because it was at this battle that the forces of Henry Tudor, who had returned from exile to claim the throne of England, defeated those of Richard III. Richard was killed during the battle and Henry was crowned King Henry VII. He ruled until his death, by natural causes, on 21st April 1509.
You can read more about the battle in our article The Battle of Bosworth - 22 August 1485, and you can also find out more about the battle and the two kings involved with the following resources:
- Expert talk – Henry VII by Nathen Amin
- Expert Talk – Henry VII: Bosworth to Coronation by Nathen Amin
- Henry VII - Usurper?
- The Tudors’ Journey to Bosworth: Part 7 – The Battle of Bosworth by Tony Riches
- The Battle of Bosworth Quiz
- Expert Talk: Susan Fern on Bosworth’s Lost Commander
- Henry VII Primary Sources
- The Battle of Bosworth: An informal video
- Henry VII e-book
- Henry VII: True or False?
- Henry VII and Henry VIII Quiz
- Wars of the Roses and Richard III Primary Sources
- Richard III Bio
- Richard III Quiz
- Tudor Life Magazine Richard III Special Edition (March 2015)