At three o'clock in the afternoon of Sunday 7th September 1533, the eve of the feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen Elizabeth I was born at Greenwich Palace.
Elizabeth was the daughter of King Henry VIII and his second wife, Anne Boleyn, and she came to the throne following the death of her older half-sister, Queen Mary I, on 17th November 1558. She reigned for over forty-four years, until her death on 24th March 1603, and her reign became known as a "golden age". Elizabeth I has gone down in history as Good Queen Bess, the Virgin Queen and Gloriana.
Here are some resources for finding out more about her and you can find more by using the search box on the site:
- Elizabeth I e-book - Part of our special Tudor Society e-book series.
- Elizabeth I brief bio
- Tudor Life magazine: Special Elizabeth I Edition
- Claire's Bookcase: Elizabeth I - Claire shares her collection of Elizabeth I books
- Elizabeth I and Ivan IV - A Claire Chats talk
- Elizabeth I Quiz
- Elizabeth I's Tide Letter
- Queen Elizabeth I: A Timewatch Guide video
- Elizabeth I and the fall of Mary, Queen of Scots - A Claire Chats video
- Elizabeth I’s Coronation Procession and The Quenes Maiesties Passage - A Claire Chats video
- Elizabeth I and the Bisley Boy Legend - A Claire Chats video
- Bloody Queens: Elizabeth and Mary TV programme
- The Young Elizabeth I Quiz
- Elizabeth I Words Quiz
- Elizabeth I's Tilbury Speech on Film
And if you only have 60 seconds to spare!
and enjoy some Elizabeth I portraits and engravings:
Leave a Reply