In this week's Claire Chats video talk, Claire looks at the relationship between England and Russia in Elizabeth I's reign, and specifically at some correspondence between Elizabeth I and Ivan IV (Ivan the Terrible).
You can click here to view Claire's talk on the Muscovy Company.
Sources and Further Reading
- Hakluyt, Richard. Principal Navigations Voyages Traffiques And Discoveries Of The English Nation, Vol.2, p. 271-272 - https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.106857
- Evans, James (2014) Tudor Adventurers: The Voyage of Discovery that Transformed England, Pegasus.
- McDermott, James. “Chancellor, Richard (d. 1556).” James McDermott In Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, online ed., edited by David Cannadine. Oxford: OUP, 2004.
- ed. Goldsmid, Edmund (1886) Chancellor's voyage to Muscovy; being Clement Adam's Anglorum navigatio ad Muscovitas, taken from Respublica Muscoviae (1630). To which is added a very rare and scarce tract, De moneta Russica (Elzevier, 1630) - https://archive.org/details/chancellorsvoyag00adam_1
- ed. Morgan, E. Delmar and Coote, C.H. Early Voyages to Russia and Persia by Anthony Jenkinson and other Englishmen, Volume 1, Burt Franklin, New York, p. 109-112.
- "A letter from Elizabeth I to Tsar Ivan 'the Terrible'" by Tracey A. Sowerby, Textual Ambassadors, 2014 - http://www.textualambassadors.org/?p=610
- Pryor, Felix (2003) Elizabeth I - Her Life in Letters, British Library Publishing Division.
- "The Correspondence of Queen Elizabeth with the Russian Czars", Inna Lubimenko, The American Historical Review, Vol. 19, No. 3 (Apr., 1914), pp. 525-542 - download at https://www.jstor.org/stable/1835077?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
- "Ivan the terribly rude" by John Vincent, 2 January 2004, The Telegraph - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/1450732/Ivan-the-terribly-rude.html
- "A Who's Who of Tudor Women: H-He" compiled by Kathy Lynn Emerson - http://www.kateemersonhistoricals.com/TudorWomenH-He.htm
- "Question from Liz - Ivan IV in England", TudorHistory.org Questions and Answers Blog - http://tudorhistory.org/queryblog/2008/08/question-from-liz-ivan-iv-in-england.html
- Bertolet A.R. (2011) “The Tsar and the Queen: “You Speak a Language that I Understand Not””, Chapter 5 in ed. Beem, C. The Foreign Relations of Elizabeth I, pp 101-123, Queenship and Power. Palgrave Macmillan, New York. - https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1057%2F9780230118553_5