In today's Claire Chats video I look at Henry VIII the jouster and the records that tell of how he excelled at the sport, and also accounts of his accidents.
- Royal Armoury website - http://www.royalarmouries.org/leeds/leeds-galleries/tournament-gallery/tournament-events
- Tournaments at the Court of King Henry VIII, Karen Watts - see http://www.royalarmouries.org/assets-uploaded/documents/KWatts_Web.pdf
- Hall’s Chronicle, Edward Hall, p513 - Account of William Compton's accident.
- Calendar of State Papers, Spain, Volume 2, 1509-1525, 46 - Luis Caroz De Villaragut, to King Ferdinand the Catholic, 29 May 1510.
- Four Years at the Court of Henry VIII: Selection of Despatches Written by the Venetian Ambassador, Sebastian Giustinian, and Addressed to the Signory of Venice, January 12th, 1515, to July 26th, 1519, p75,91
- Calendar of State Papers Relating To English Affairs in the Archives of Venice, Volume 2, 1509-1519, 624, Nicolo Sagudino, secretary of Sebastian Giustinian, Ambassador in England, to Alvise Foscaki.
- Calendar of State Papers Relating To English Affairs in the Archives of Venice, Volume 2, 1509-1519, 918, Francesco Chieregato, Apostolic Nuncio in England, to Isabella d'Este, Marchioness of Mantua.
- Hall’s Chronicle, Edward Hall, p674 - An account of Henry VIII's jousting accident in 1524.
- LP x.200, Chapuys to Granvelle - Account of Henry VIII's 1536 jousting accident.
- LP x.427, Dr Ortiz to the Empress - Account of Henry VIII's 1536 jousting accident.
- A chronicle of England during the reigns of the Tudors, from A.D. 1485 to 1559, Charles Wriothesley, p33 - Account of Henry VIII's 1536 jousting accident.
- Poème sur la Mort d’Anne Boleyn, Lancelot de Carles, lines 317-320, in La Grande Bretagne devant L’Opinion Française depuis la Guerre de Cent Ans jusqu’a la Fin du XVI Siècle, George Ascoli.
- Image: Catalina de Aragon watching Henry VIII of England joust, College of Arms, early 16th century, Wikipedia. Westminster Tournament Roll.