In today's Claire Chats video, I talk (or perhaps ramble!) about what made a marriage legal and binding in the medieval and Tudor periods.
- Historical Handfasting, S L Krossa - http://medievalscotland.org/history/handfasting.shtml
- Love and marriage in medieval England, Sally Dixon-Smith, History Extra - http://m.historyextra.com/article/feature/love-and-marriage-medieval-england-customs-vows-ceremony
- Love and marriage in Tudor England, Professor Ralph Houlbrooke - http://www.historyextra.com/feature/tudors/love-and-marriage-tudor-england. I love his book The English Family 1450 - 1700
- Medieval and Renaissance Marriage: Theory and Customs by Kirsti S. Thomas
- Marriage in Medieval Ireland by Art Cosgrove, History Ireland - http://www.historyireland.com/medieval-history-pre-1500/marriage-in-medieval-ireland-by-art-cosgrove/
- Notes from Helen Castor's Medieval Lives: Birth, Marriage, Death – Episode 2: A Good Marriage - http://www.theanneboleynfiles.com/helen-castors-medieval-lives-birth-marriage-death-episode-2-good-marriage/
Leave a Reply