As this week was the anniversary of Queen Catherine of Aragon giving birth to a still-born daughter in 1510, I thought I'd look at the primary source accounts we have of Catherine's pregnancies.
Click here to view my Claire Chats video on Pregnancy and childbirth in Tudor times.
Notes and Sources
- 'Queen Katharine: 1510', in Calendar of State Papers, Spain: Supplement To Volumes 1 and 2, Queen Katherine; Intended Marriage of King Henry VII To Queen Juana, ed. G A Bergenroth (London, 1868), pp. 34-44 http://www.british-history.ac.uk/cal-state-papers/spain/supp/vols1-2/pp34-44.
- 'Spain: 1510', in Calendar of State Papers, Spain, Volume 2, 1509-1525, ed. G A Bergenroth (London, 1866), pp. 33-54. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/cal-state-papers/spain/vol2/pp33-54.
- 'Henry VIII: February 1511', in Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 1, 1509-1514, ed. J S Brewer (London, 1920), pp. 377-390. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/letters-papers-hen8/vol1/pp377-390. See documents 698, 699 and 700 for information on the tournament. See 700 for details regarding the interment of Prince Henry.
- Hall, Edward. Hall's chronicle: containing the history of England, during the reign of Henry the Fourth, and the succeeding monarchs, to the end of the reign of Henry the Eighth, in which are particularly described the manners and customs of those periods. Carefully collated with the editions of 1548 and 1550, Printed for J. Johnson, p. 516-519 http://www.archive.org/stream/hallschronicleco00halluoft#page/516/mode/2up.
- The 1511 Westminster Tournament Roll, Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_1511_Westminster_Tournament_Roll
- Henry VIII's Westminster Tournament 1511, https://thehistoryofengland.co.uk/resource/henry-viiis-westminster-tournament-1511/
- The Westminster Tournament Challenge (Harley 83 H 1) and Thomas Wriothesley’s Workshop – an interesting article which can be read at http://www.bl.uk/eblj/2011articles/pdf/ebljarticle92011.pdf