In this week's Claire Chats video I talk about pregnancy and childbirth in Tudor times, and the superstitions, traditions and religious rituals surrounding them.
In the video I mention the Sarum missal and the 1549 prayer book, so here are some links where you can read them:
- 1549 Book of Common Prayer Public Baptism - http://archive.org/stream/bookofcommonpraycs00chur#page/232/mode/2up
- The Sarum Missal - http://www.justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/Sarum/index.htm in Latin and English.
- The Tudor Housewife by Alison Sim
- Birth, Marriage and Death: Ritual, Religion and the Life-Cycle in Tudor and Stuart England by David Cressy
- Blood, Bodies and Families in Early Modern England by Patricia Crawford
- The Midwives Book Or The Whole Art Of Midwifry Discovered by Jane Sharp