In today's "on this day in Tudor history", we go back to 1554, where trouble was brewing for both Mary I and her half-sister, Elizabeth.
In the video, I forgot to mention Susan Doran's wonderful book Elizabeth I and Her Circle.
You can read Mary's letter to Elizabeth in an article I wrote on it here on the Tudor Society website - click here.
Further resources on Wyatt's Rebellion and Elizabeth's imprisonment:
- Are there any online primary sources for Wyatt’s Rebellion?
- 1 February 1554 – Mary I rallies London against Wyatt’s Rebellion
- Wyatt's Rebellion 1554
- 18 March 1554 – Elizabeth is taken to the Tower
Notes and Sources
- 'Spain: January 1554, 26-31', in Calendar of State Papers, Spain, Volume 12, 1554, ed. Royall Tyler (London, 1949), pp. 50-66. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/cal-state-papers/spain/vol12/pp50-66
- Doran, Susan (2015)Elizabeth I and Her Circle, Oxford University Press.