As this weekend is Hallowtide, I thought I'd explore the topic of ghosts and look at what medieval and Tudor people thought about them.
You can read the Byland Abbey Ghost Stories at http://www.anselm-classics.com/byland/about.html, in their original Latin or translated into English. They are a very interesting read.
Here are some other resources on ghosts, Halloween and Hallowtide...
- Horrible Hauntings - My Claire Chats video about Tudor ghosts and haunted Tudor places.
- Medieval Ghost Stories - Enjoy some ghost stories medieval-style.
- Did They Believe in Ghosts in Medieval Times? (Learning from Purgatory) - Timothy R.J. Eveland - https://timothyrjeveland.com/2018/10/07/medieval-ghosts/
- What Medieval Ghosts can tell us about the Afterlife - https://www.medievalists.net/2017/10/medieval-ghosts-can-tell-us-afterlife/
- Did Elizabethans Believe in Ghosts? - https://delshakeshamlet.weebly.com/ghosts-in-elizabethan-england.html
- Ghosts in the Middle Ages - https://www.ancient.eu/article/1404/ghosts-in-the-middle-ages/