As it is the anniversary of the execution of Sir Thomas More today and yesterday was the anniversary of the day that he wrote his very last letter, I thought I'd have a look at the letter and the people that More mentions in it. I hope you enjoy my talk.
Beth von Staats' excellent article on Sir Thomas More can be read at https://www.theanneboleynfiles.com/the-real-wolf-hall-who-was-thomas-more/ and you can see Stephanie Mann's expert talk on More here on the Tudor Society site - click here.
Sir Thomas More's A Dialogue of Comfort, along with his famous work Utopia, can be read online at https://archive.org/stream/in.ernet.dli.2015.112623/2015.112623.Utopia-And-A-Dialogue-Of-Comfort#page/n3/mode/2up.
For more of Sir Thomas More's works:
- Memoirs of Sir Thomas More, Vol I, edited by Arthur Cayley - https://archive.org/details/memoirsofsirthom01cayl
- Memoirs of Sir Thomas More, Vol II, edited by Arthur Cayley - https://archive.org/details/memoirsofsirthom02cayl
- The Life and Letters of Sir Thomas More, Agnes M Stewart - https://archive.org/details/lifelettersofsir00stewuoft
More's son-in-law, William Roper, wrote a biography of More and you can read that at https://archive.org/details/lifeofsirthomas00rope.
Notes and Sources
- Descendants of Sir Thomas More - https://www.thomasmorestudies.org/docs/Descendants_John.pdf
- House, S. (2004-09-23). "More, Sir Thomas [St Thomas More] (1478–1535), lord chancellor, humanist, and martyr". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
- Bowker, M. (2004-09-23). "Clement [Clements; née Giggs], Margaret (1508–1570), adopted daughter of Sir Thomas More". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
- Guy, John (2012) A Daughter's Love: Thomas and Margaret More - The Family Who Dared to Defy Henry VIII, Penguin.
- ed. de Silva, Alvaro (2001) The Last Letters of Sir Thomas More, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.
- Walter, William Joseph (1840) Sir Thomas More: His Life and Times : Illustrated from His Own Writings, And From Contemporary Documents - https://archive.org/details/SirThomasMoreHisLifeAndTimes
- ed. Crinquand, Sylvie (2008) Last Letters, Cambridge Scholars Publishing.