Today is the anniversary of the death of Anne of Cleves and to mark the occasion Claire looks at some texts associated with her.
By the way, today is also the anniversary of the death of Sir John Harington in 1612. One of the things he is known for is his flush toilet, or flush water closet and you can click here to read more about it.
Links to texts
- Thomas Becon's The Pomander of Prayer can be found in Prayers and other pieces of Thomas Becon at https://archive.org/details/prayersotherpiec00becouoft
- Sir Thomas Elyot's The defence of good women can be found at Elyot - https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015003346304
- Richard Taverner's translation of An epitome of the Psalmes, or briefe meditacions vpon the same, with diuerse other moste christian prayers can be read at http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=eebo;idno=A68935.0001.001
Anne of Cleves resources
- Claire Chats video - Anne of Cleves: was she ugly?
- November 1541 – Anne of Cleves Rumoured to Have Given Birth to the King’s Son
- June 2017 Tudor Life Magazine – Anne of Cleves
- Click here for more articles, resources and quizzes
Dan Jones and Suzannah Lipscomb on Anne of Cleves:
Another video on Anne, this time from Historic Royal Palaces:
- Warnicke, Retha M.. “Anne [Anne of Cleves] (1515–1557).” Retha M. Warnicke In Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, online ed., edited by David Cannadine. Oxford: OUP, 2004. http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/558
- Fraser, Antonia (2009) The Six Wives Of Henry VIII, W&N.
- Norton, Elizabeth (2010) Anne of Cleves: Henry VIII's Discarded Bride, Amberley Publishing.
- Warnicke, Retha M. (2011) The Marrying of Anne of Cleves: Royal Protocol in Tudor England, Cambridge University Press.