In today's Claire Chats video talk, Claire looks at the disease smallpox, which Tudor people like Henry VIII, Margaret Tudor, Edward VI and Elizabeth I suffered from. What was it? Where did it come from? What were its symptoms and how was it treated?
Notes and Sources
- History of Smallpox, CDC.
- Smallpox: inoculation and vaccination, Science Museum.
- Edward Jenner and the history of smallpox and vaccination, Stefan Riedel.
- McCabe, Stuart (2016) Queen Margaret Tudor: The Story of a Courageous but Forgotten Monarch, Mereo Books.
- Henderson, D.A. (2009) Smallpox: The Death of a Disease, Prometheus Books.
- O'Caellaigh, Seamus (2017) Pustules, Pestilence and Pain, Draft manuscript, MadeGlobal Publishing.
- Hopkins, Donald R. (2002) The Greatest Killer: Smallpox in History, University of Chicago Press.
- Kotar, S.L. and Gessler, J.E. (2013) Smallpox: A History, McFarland.
- ed. Kaulek, Jean Baptiste Louis (1885) Correspondance politique de mm. de Castillon et de Marillac, ambassadeurs de France en Angleterre (1537-1542); pub. sous les auspices de la Commission des archives diplomatiques
- 'Henry VIII: March 1514, 1-10', in Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 1, 1509-1514, ed. J S Brewer (London, 1920), pp. 1179-1188. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/letters-papers-hen8/vol1/pp1179-1188
- Creighton, Charles (1891) A History of Epidemics in Britain: From A.D. 664 to the great plague, Volume 1, Cambridge University Press.
- 'Simancas: October 1562', in Calendar of State Papers, Spain (Simancas), Volume 1, 1558-1567, ed. Martin A S Hume (London, 1892), pp. 261-265. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/cal-state-papers/simancas/vol1/pp261-265
- ed. Brady, Ciaran (2002) A Viceroy’s Vindication? Sir Henry Sidney’s Memoir of Service in Ireland, 1556-78, Cork University Press.
- Tucker, Jonathan B. (2002) Scourge: The Once and Future Threat of Smallpox, Grove Press.
- Strickland, Agnes (1843) Lives of the Queens of England, Volume VI, Henry Colburn.