It's our sex edition
We're not afraid of tackling the difficult (fun?) topics here in the Tudor Society, and so we've put together an edition of Tudor Life magazine, looking at Sex in the Tudor period. We have articles including "The Debate over Harry Percy", "Sex and Love in the Medieval Era" and "How to achieve amorous desires through Dance" plus more.
There is also an exclusive give-away of "Watch the Lady" by Elizabeth Fremantle which is due for publication in the UK in February (members from all around the world are free to enter!).
SIMPLY comment below this article to be in with a chance to win a copy of Elizabeth's book.
To whet your appetite there is also an excerpt from the book in the magazine. It's gripping stuff from a really wonderful author.
This issue includes:
- His dear bedfellow: the debate over Harry Percy - Gareth Russell
- Sex and love in the Medieval era - Toni Mount
- Modernising sex in Tudor England - Conor Byrne
- Kenilworth Castle - Andy Crossley
- Courting is a pleasure - Jane Moulder
- MS King's 9: Book of Hours - Melanie V. Taylor
- EXCLUSIVE:Watch the Lady - Elizabeth Fremantle
- Elizabeth of York's representation as a wife, mother and queen - Lauren Browne
- The stalking of Anne Boleyn - Kyra Kramer
- The King is Dead - book review by Charlie Fenton
- The Tudor kitchen - Olga Hughes
- Feast Days - Claire Ridgway
High Quality Download (49Mb)
Smaller Download (4.7Mb)
Stupid question here (nothing new where I’m concerned) But putting mistresses, and the procreation of children with their wives aside here. Did a husband and wife actually have sex as an enjoyable pastime.
Yes, I would say so. In those days it was believed that a woman had to orgasm to be able to get pregnant so it was important for procreation for a man to give pleasure to his wife. I know that’s not putting procreation aside, but at least pleasure was seen as important.
Thank you Claire. Am I right in also thinking that it was good for the woman to have an orgasm for the benefit of her mental well being as well?
Can’t wait to read the rather naughty edition of the magazine this month.
Is this where we comment for the Watch The Lady Giveaway?! Me! Me! Pick Me! haha. Would love to read about Catherine’s granddaughter 🙂
You’ve commented in the right place, Adrienne!
I would like to put my name in the hat for the Watch The Lady Giveaway