On this day in Tudor history, 24th January 1536, King Henry suffered an accident while jousting at Greenwich. What happened and just how serious was it? Claire looks at the contemporary sources.
Here are some links to other resources you may be interested in:
- Henry VIII the Jouster - Claire Chats video talk.
- Video – Henry VIII: Tyrant Part 1
- Video – Henry VIII: Tyrant Part 2
Notes and Sources
- Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 10, 427, Dr Ortiz to the Empress
- Ibid., 200, Chapuys to Granvelle
- Wriothesley, Charles (1875) A chronicle of England during the reigns of the Tudors, from A.D. 1485 to 1559, p. 33
- de Carles, Lancelot, “Poème sur la Mort d’Anne Boleyn”, in La Grande Bretagne devant L’Opinion Française depuis la Guerre de Cent Ans jusqu’a la Fin du XVI Siècle, Georges Ascoli.