In today's Claire Chats I look at Richard Edwards: who he was and how he has become linked to Henry VIII.
- “Edwards, Richard (1525–1566),” John R. Elliott, jun. in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, eee online ed., ed. Lawrence Goldman, Oxford: OUP, 2004, http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/8552 (accessed January 19, 2016).
- ed. King, Rosalind (2009) The works of Richard Edwards: Politics, poetry and performance in sixteenth century England, Manchester University Press.
- Cousin, John William, 1849-1910, A short biographical dictionary of English literature, p. 128.
- Hart, Kelly (2009) The Mistresses of Henry VIII, The History Press, p.77-79.
- Jones, Philippa (2009) The Other Tudors, New Holland, p. 300-302.
- "Question from Shannon - Another illegit. son of Henry VIII" on TudorHistory.org and answer from “Halsangels” at http://queryblog.tudorhistory.org/2006/04/question-from-shannon-another-illegit.html
The book on the Edwards family in which the family legend is written of is The Edwardes Legacy by David Dean Edwards, Gateway Press, Baltimore, 1992.
Pingback: Happy Birthday Henry VIII! – The Tudor Society /
Richard Edwards is my 15th great grandfather and his mother Agnes Blewett is my 16th great grandmother, however, i have no info or clue on the whole thing about henry viii. if i might be related to him in a way? i have no clue whatsoever. Agnes did married a man, named William Edwardes, who actually my real bloodline ( 16th great grandfather).
This might seem complicated at first, i got confused and i really wish i had answer like real ones but i don’t know if there is a way for me get real answers.
I’m also of the blood line of Richard Edwards, from what I know and have studied,we are from the Tutor line, my last name is Edwards and Jonathan Edwards who started the great reformation in the 13 colonies was my fifth great grandfather.
I’m trying to put it all together, too. What you may already know is that King Henry Vlll had 6 wives and many (other) ladies. One being Agnes Beaupenny Blewitt. William Edwards was good friends with the King and with ABB pregnant, set up an arranged marriage with Willy and Ag. They were given the Edwards Hall in or near Cardiff and the babies were born there. Richard, the first child, is said in secret, to be the Kings’ child but took the Edwards name, among other children that came with the Edwards blood/name, supposedly. They all could’ve been the Kings. Who knows for sure.