Thank you so much to Oscar for inspiring this week's Claire Chats with his question "What did the Tudors use to wipe their bottoms?". In the following video, I answer that question and also talk about Tudor toilets.
Lucy Worsley's video:
From Horrible Histories:
Tony Robinson tries a close stool:
Another interesting video:
Click here to see a picture of Sir John Harington's flush toilet and read more about it. I give a link to his book on it.
- Mortimer, Ian (2014) The Time Traveler's Guide to Elizabethan England, Penguin Books, Reprint Edition.
- Thurley, Simon (2017) Houses of Power: The Places that Shaped the Tudor World, TW Adult.
- Death of Sir John Harington by Richard Cavendish, http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/death-sir-john-harington
- A Brief History of Toilets - http://fiveminutehistory.com/a-brief-history-of-toilets/
- Top 10 Toilets Through Time - http://blog.english-heritage.org.uk/top-10-toilets-through-time/
- Bathrooms through the ages - Tudor Toilets - https://www.hobbies-and-crafts.co.uk/dolls-houses-miniatures/how-to/tudor/bathrooms-through-the-ages-tudor-toilets
- Life in 16th Century England by Tim Lambert - http://www.localhistories.org/tudor.html
- A History of Humanity's Disgusting Hygiene by Helen Murphy Howellhttps://owlcation.com/humanities/A-History-of-Dirty-Habits
- A Royal Flush - http://www.tudorworld.com/single-post/2015/12/20/A-royal-flush
- A Brief History of the Bathroom by Anne Reagan - http://porch.com/advice/brief-history-bathroom/
- Gemma Gibbons' royal toilet picture: getting medieval on your arse, Jonathan Jones - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/oct/25/gemma-gibbons-royal-toilet-picture
- Historians recreate Henry VIII's velvet world of lavatorial luxury by Marianne MacDonald - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/historians-recreate-henry-viiis-velvet-world-of-lavatorial-luxury-1590363.html
Makes one SO grateful for our modern 20th/21st century conveniences!
Great topic Claire!
Fascinating! Love this…though it’s a bit…stinky. My grandson will love it!