In today's Claire Chats I talk about the importance of the religious calendar in Tudor people's lives.
Click here to watch my talk on "Calendar Confusion", explaining the Julian Calendar, regnal years, Lady Day, and the legal year.
Here is an interesting video on the medieval calendar from the Getty Museum:
Notes and Sources
- Tudor Monastery Farm, BBC2 series, 2013.
- Medieval Lives: Birth, Marriage, Death, BBC Scotland, 2013.
- Feasts and Holy Days, https://sites.google.com/site/medievalmenwithouthats/calendar
- Church in the Middle Ages: From dedication to dissent, http://www.bl.uk/the-middle-ages/articles/church-in-the-middle-ages-from-dedication-to-dissent
- Gilchrist, Roberta (2013) Medieval Life: Archaeology and the Life Course, Boydell Press.
- Calendars and Time, Faith Wallis, http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/