Happy Birthday to Queen Mary I! Yes, Mary I, a woman who has unfortunately gone down in history as "Bloody Mary" and whose reign is often seen as a failure, was born on this day in 1516.
In today's video,I talk about Mary I's birth and baptism and share some of Mary I's achievements as queen. She's so much more than Bloody Mary.
Here's my video "February 1 - Mary I's Rousing Speech"
You can also enjoy Samantha Wilcoxson's expert talk on Mary - click here.
Also on this day in history:
- 1503 – Henry Tudor, the future Henry VIII, was created Prince of Wales.
- 1558 – Death of Sir George Barne, former Alderman and Lord Mayor of London. He was buried at St Bartholomew by the Exchange, London.
- 1561 – Death of Sir Thomas Denys, administrator. His offices included Comptroller to Princess Mary, Chancellor of Anne of Cleves' household, member of Parliament for Devon, Sheriff of Devon and Deputy Lieutenant of Devon and Cornwall.
- 1563 – Francis, Duke of Guise, was wounded by a Huguenot assassin. He died six days later.
- 1612 – Death of Roberto di Ridolfi, the merchant and conspirator famed for the Ridolfi Plot to assassinate Elizabeth I. He died in Florence, Italy.