In this week's Claire Chats, I talk about the advice given to Tudor people about sleeping and I look at what they actually slept on.
Sources and Further Reading
- Claire Chats video on Tudor medicine - click here.
- A Compendyous Regyment or a Dyetary of Helth, Andrew Boorde - Read the chapter at https://archive.org/stream/b2190277x#page/244/mode/2up
- A Description of England, William Harrison - As I said in the video, his work was used on Holinshed's Chronicle, see http://www.english.ox.ac.uk/holinshed/texts.php?text1=1577_0068 "Of the maner of Buylding and furniture of our houses".
- Bedknobs and truckle beds at Little Moreton Hall, National Trust - http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/little-moreton-hall/visitor-information/article-1355820541651/
- Beds in Late Medieval and Tudor Times - http://www.oldandinteresting.com/medieval-renaissance-beds.aspx
- History of the Home, Dr Lucy Worsley - http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/middle_ages/history_of_home.shtml See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyJ2x_u4uM&feature=youtu.be for an excerpt from Lucy Worsley.
- Sleep Tight! Going to bed in Medieval and Tudor England, Amy Licence - http://authorherstorianparent.blogspot.com.es/2012/10/sleep-tight-going-to-bed-in-medieval.html
- Tristan Quilt, V&A Museum - http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O98183/the-tristan-quilt-bed-cover-
- Elizabeth's London: Everyday Life in Elizabethan London by Liza Picard
- The Great Bed of Ware, V&A Museum - http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/t/the-great-bed-of-ware/, http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O9138/bed-great-bed-of-ware/ and the video at http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/t/the-great-bed-of-ware/
- The marriage bed of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York - Dr Jonathan Foyle's research and evidence can be read at http://gio6v3sgme0lorck1bp74b12.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Bed-of-Roses-leaflet.pdf See photos of the bed at http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-32157409