In this week's Claire Chats video I talk about some of the pets the Tudors were known to have.
Here are a few images I found:
Notes and Sources
- The Cat by Muriel Beadle - For information on the cats burned at Elizabeth I's coronation.
- Arthur Mee’s Kent (1954) - For the story about the cat bringing Henry Wyatt pigeons
- Records regarding Henry VIII and his horses - Calendar of State Papers Relating to English Affairs in the Archives of Venice, Volume 2: 1509-1519, 385, Letter from Giovanni Ratto to the Marquis of Mantua, see http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=94197. Payments for horses - see http://www.gutenberg.org/files/46009/46009-h/46009-h.htm
- Ammonio's verse about Canicida can be read at http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A2011.01.0867%3Asection%3D1%3Asubsection%3D11
- Great Harry by Carolly Erickson
- Henry VIII:The King and His Court by Alison Weir
- Elizabeth I breeding horses - http://www.equi-therapy.net/equi-therapy/breeding/horse-breeding-history.shtml
- "The Privy Purse Expenses of Henry VIII", p74 - details on payment to the farmer for the cow killed by the greyhounds
- Records regarding Purkoy - Lisle Letters, Volume 2, p21, letter 109; Ibid., p 30, letter 114; Ibid., p331, letter 299a;
LP ix. 991
- Elizabeth of York's greyhounds - Privy Purse Expenses of Elizabeth of York, see http://books.google.com/
- The White Greyhound of Richmond - see http://patrickbaty.co.uk/2009/09/03/a-tudor-garden/
- Hatch, the Mary Rose's dog - see https://maryrose.org/hatch/#more
- John Hussee's words regarding Anne Boleyn's dislike of monkeys _ Lisle Letters, Volume 2, No. 421, 21 June 1535
- Gift Giving at the Court of Henry VIII: the 1539 New Year's Gift Roll in Context by Maria Hayward, The Antiquaries Journal / Volume 85 / Issue 01 / September 2005, pp 126 - 175, includes mention of William Kendall's gift of a monkey to Henry VIII.
- Information on the Tower of London menagerie - https://www.hrp.org.uk/tower-of-london/history-and-stories/the-tower-of-london-menagerie/#gs.zsvym4