In this week's Claire chats video, I talk about some of the art books I own and would recommend. Please do share in the comments below which books you would recommend to other Tudor Society members on art.
- Tudor & Jacobean Portraits, 2 volume set, by the National Portrait Gallery and edited by Roy Strong.
- The English Renaissance Miniature by Roy Strong, published by Thames & Hudson Ltd, 1984.
- Artists of the Tudor Court: Portrait Miniature Rediscovered, 1520-1620 by Roy Strong, published by Victoria & Albert Museum, 1983.
- Hans Holbein the Younger, 1497/98-1543: Portraitist of the Renaissance, Royal Cabinet of Paintings Mauritshuis, 2003.
- I also mentioned John North's The Ambassadors' Secret: Holbein and the World of the Renaissance, published by Phoenix, 2004.
Roland Hui's blog https://tudorfaces.blogspot.com is well worth a visit, and art historian Bendor Grosvenor sometimes discusses Tudor art on his blog at http://www.arthistorynews.com/.
I LOVED this video! I need to get some of those books in future, the one about the Minature paintings is fascinating I must say! Thank you for sharing these with us!
I love ‘Tudor and Jacobean Portraits’!
I’m grateful a University library here has the set as it’s expensive to buy (even 2nd hand). I wish Roy Strong would do an updated version as there has been so much new research since1969 when it was originally published.
Yes, an updated version would be brilliant.