I live in a rural community and here I have reminders all the time of the farming calendar. With the signs of autumn all around, my thoughts turned to harvest and the farming year in Tudor times, so I thought I'd talk about that for this week's Claire Chats video.
You can read Thomas Tusser's work at Archive.org:
- Five Hundreth Points of Good Husbandry United to as many of Good Huswiferie - https://archive.org/details/b24921506
- Hundreth good poyntes of husbandrie - https://archive.org/details/fiuehundredpoin00tussgoog
Further Reading and Sources
- The Farming Year - https://midtudormanor.wordpress.com/the-farming-year/
- Ten Facts about Tudor Farming - https://www.shakespeare.org.uk/explore-shakespeare/blogs/ten-facts-about-tudor-farming/
- Farm animals - http://www.simplesite.com/theapothecary/4732212
- Medieval Farming and the Farming Year - https://www.historyonthenet.com/medieval-farming-the-farming-year
Do check out the Tudor Monastery Farm series too. You'll probably be able to find some episodes on YouTube.
Leave a Reply