Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus! Happy St David's Day to all those celebrating today! Will you be wearing a leek or a daffodil today? Do you celebrate it? Let me tell you a bit more about St David and also how the Tudors marked this occasion.
Why not buy some leeks today and try some leek recipes? – see https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/leek
Or how about some Welsh inspired recipes? https://www.thespruceeats.com/recipes-for-st-davids-day-4159242
Nathen Amin has written an excellent article on his blog “Henry Tudor, a Proud Welshman” - https://nathenamin.com/2013/03/01/henry-tudor-proud-welshman/
- Privy purse expenses of the Princess Mary, daughter of King Henry the Eighth, afterwards Queen Mary - https://archive.org/details/privypurseexpens00maddrich/page/18 pp. 19, 61, 152
- The privy purse expenses of King Henry the Eighth, from November 1529, to December 1532 - https://archive.org/details/henryprivypurse00nicouoft/page/28 pp. 28, 114, 197
- British Leeks website - http://www.british-leeks.co.uk/funfacts.php
- St David's Day: Leeks v daffs - true icons? - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-12602857
- Wearing Leeks on St David's Day - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/4805288/Wearing-leeks-on-St-Davids-Day.html
- National Symbols of Wales - https://www.visitwales.com/explore/traditions-history/national-symbols
- 16 things you (probably) didn’t know about St David’s Day traditions - https://www.historyextra.com/period/medieval/facts-st-davids-day-wales-traditions-facts-welsh-costumes-leek/
I spent a year in Wales and well remember the leek pin I was asked to wear at work! Arrived home too late yesterday to get the soup on, but will enjoy some today.