On this day in Tudor history, 23rd May 1533, in the reign of King Henry VIII, Archbishop Thomas Cranmer, declared the sentence of the special court that had met at Dunstable Priory in Bedfordshire.
The Dunstable Priory court had convened to hear the case for the annulment of King Henry VIII's marriage to his first wife, Catherine of Aragon. Predictably, the court declared the marriage to be contrary to God's laws and the archbishop was able to inform the king of the sentence of "divorce".
Find out more in today's video.
Also on this day in history:
- 1547 - Henry Grey, 3rd Marquis of Dorset (future Duke of Suffolk) and father of Lady Jane Grey, was installed as a Knight of the Garter.
- 1554 – The future Elizabeth I arrived at Woodstock, where she was put under house arrest. She had been released from the Tower of London on 19th May after being examined regarding Wyatt's Rebellion.
- 1572 – Burial of John Carré, entrepreneur and glass manufacturer, at Alford parish church. According to his biographer, Andrew Spicer, Carré "is credited with the re-establishment of window glass production in England and for introducing the manufacture of cristallo tableware".
- 1576 – Burial of Francis Barnham, alderman and draper, and husband of Alice Barnham, silkwoman and benefactor, at St Clement Eastcheap.
- 1591 – Death of John Blitheman, composer of organ and vocal sacred music, and tutor of John Bull. He was buried at the parish church of St Nicholas Olave, London.
I would like to know how you posted from your kitchen while being in Hever Castle? Do you have a time machine? Or did Tim enslave you for a week to make all your videos the day before your tour ha?😎
Video on your lovely experience with the Book of Hours at Hever was wonderful. You looked very emotional and very nice by the way. It must have been a fantastic experience handling something so beautiful and so precious which belonged to Anne. If she knew and maybe she is watching from heaven of the good work you do to promote and research her life I am sure she would smile.😀. Also Tim as your admin and camera man does a great job. Can we have a wave on a future Video, please?
It was so nice watching your posts from Hever and other places on your tour. Loved seeing your lovely cat today. They really do like to become stars. Enjoying your Anne Boleyn countdown. How you had time to keep those going and do a tour and everything is just amazing.
Take care Claire and Tim and your stars on four legs.