In today's Claire Chat's video talk, I look at Anne of Cleves' marriage to Henry VIII and what happened between 6th January 1540, her wedding day, and 28th July 1540 when Henry VIII married Catherine Howard, his fifth wife.
Click here to view Anne of Cleves Part 1 and here for Part 3.
Notes and Sources
- The depositions of June 1540 can be found in the appendix of John Strype's Ecclesiastical Memorials Relating Chiefly to Religion and the Reformation of It, and the Emergencies of the Church of England under King Henry VIII, King Edward VI and Queen Mary I..., Volume I Part II, Appendix, 1822, Clarendon Press, p. 453 onwards. Read online at https://archive.org/stream/ecclesiasticalm02strygoog#page/n464/mode/2up
- Hall, Edward. Hall's chronicle: containing the history of England, during the reign of Henry the Fourth, and the succeeding monarchs, to the end of the reign of Henry the Eighth, in which are particularly described the manners and customs of those periods. Carefully collated with the editions of 1548 and 1550, Printed for J. Johnson, p. 837. Read online at http://www.archive.org/stream/hallschronicleco00halluoft#page/n845/mode/2up.
- Charles Wriothesley - A chronicle of England during the reigns of the Tudors, from A.D. 1485 to 1559, Volume 1, p. 109 to 110, read online at https://archive.org/stream/chronicleengland00wriouoft#page/108/mode/2up
- Warnicke, Retha (2012) Wicked Women of Tudor England: Queens, Aristocrats, Commoners, p62.
- Burnet, Gilbert. Bishop Burnet's History of the reformation of the Church of England, Volume I Part II, Printed by J F Dove, 1820, p. 285.
- Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume XV (especially 860 and 861 for the full records of the meetings of convocation in July 1540).
- LP XVI. 578 for letter from Richard Hilles to Henry Bullinger. This can also be found in Robinson, Hastings (1847) Original letters relative to the English Reformation written during the reigns of King Henry VIII, King Edward VI and Queen Mary, chiefly from the archives of Zurich, p200 onwards. Read online at https://archive.org/stream/originallettersr01robiuoft#page/200/mode/2up
- Warnicke, Retha (2000) The Marrying of Anne of Cleves: Royal Protocol in Early Modern England, p183.
- Norton, Elizabeth (2009) Anne of Cleves: Henry VIII’s Discarded Bride, Amberley.
Leave a Reply